Sunday, September 20, 2009

Ringling Week 4 is over!

I can't believe a month has passed at Ringling! I came to the school wondering what it would be like being surrounded by an artistic community. I had never visited the campus before coming here. As I arrived on campus after a two-day road trip, I was greeted by some friendly orientation leaders. The campus was definitely more colorful and well landscaped than I had pictured. My favorite part about Ringling,though, are the students. The artists here range from every possible skill level. Everyone here is friendly and helps each other out. If there are assholes, I've yet to meet one.

Well I can say I've learned or relearned stuff like building armatures,the human skeleton,contour lines,reflected light,and negative spaces. Also I'm thankful for more opportunities to draw from life.

I'm still trying my best to update weekly (i missed by a day lol)Here is a sample of sketchbook pages and live anatomy studies from this week. Everything posted was done 20 min or under.






7 comments:

Tyler Hunter said...

No assholes here? Kevin, you see me like everyday.

I like the skull/shoe transformation drawing. Coincidently, I saw a transformation drawing done by Jay Shuster from Pixar yesterday, and I noticed the objects he transformed had a similar shape. I think that helps a lot in making an effective transformation. Just food for thought.
http://www.animatorsunite.com/data/wp-content/uploads/2007/01/shuster2.jpg

Also, what do you mean by "15 weeks total"?

Kevin Lu said...

hmm, I heard Leslie say we had 15 weeks of Drawing once. Thanks for the tip btw.

Kevin Lu said...

the idea with similar shapes is a good idea. Too bad my teacher told me to use contrasting objects.

Tyler Hunter said...

That's okay. Just ignore him.

Dang said...

Glad to see you're enjoying Ringling! I'm taking a figure drawing class at USC, so if you have any advice, I'd gladly take it. The portraits caught my eye. When/where did you draw those?

Michael Yates said...

looks great

just wondering whats your favorite and least favorite classes so far?

Kevin Lu said...

Andrew- I did the portraits at portrait night at ringling. They are 10-15 minuites each. I'm glad your like em lol.

MIcheal- My favorite classes are figure and 3d so far. Right now in drawing we are doing really basic stuff like contour and negative spaces. Its good practice but a lil boring. Writing and AH are bleh...