Friday, July 10, 2015

Sony Imageworks

I've moved to Vancouver, Canada to work at Sony Image-works. I've been here for 5 months. Looking back on what I've written and compared to how I feel now, I seemed overly optimistic. Its been an adventure and not quite what I thought it would be when I set forth upon this journey.

Working Sony has been the most relaxed out of any company I've worked for. I think I am really appreciating the free time after work (outside of crunch-time.) I've started to think about owning a business one day and I'm working towards figuring that out. Working in a big corporate setup like this has allowed me to focus on only lighting and compositing with minimal technical issues related to pipeline. Its great in which I don't have to think about work after work. I'm learning more and more that I need to keep doing stuff that isn't related to 3d in order to live a more balanced life.

If aspiring students do read my thoughts, I would suggest finding a mentor. Someone who is currently working in your dream job and see if that reality is right for you. If we are truly artists, we are blinded by the love of our craft. My words of wisdom would be to step back, and ask for advice from people along the way. We wont be able to truly digest their advice, but any wisdom is better than going into it blind.

1 comment:

Chris Powell said...

Can you be my lighting mentor? :D